Absolute Guide to Become Master Teachers in DepEd
DepEd teachers need an absolute guide to become master teachers in their profession.
The department must adhere to the principles of merit, competence, fitness, and equality. The selection and promotion of employees will base on their qualifications and competence. This is under DepEd Order No. 29, s. 2002 Merit Selection Plan.
DepEd issued various guidelines for the selection, promotion and appointments. For School Heads, there is DepEd Order No. 42, s. 2007. For other Other-Teaching, Related-Teaching and Non-Teaching positions, DepEd Order No. 66, s. 2007 is being utilized. For Master Teachers, various references are being used in the selection and promotion. MEC Order No. 10, s 1979, MEC Order No. 29, s 1979, and DECS Order No. 70, s. 1988 are being used on this. Yet, DepEd established guidelines for this alone. The purpose is to avoid mixed interpretations from the personnel selection board.
To better understand, here is an absolute guide to become master teachers in DepEd. This guide to become master teachers in DepEd is essential with purpose.
General Guidelines for Master Teacher Promotion
1. Only those who are actually teaching shall be considered for Master teacher position. This includes teachers who besides assuming special assignments have regular teaching loads.
2. Positions for Master Teacher (MT) shall be allotted proportionally on the basis of number of teachers. The number for the division shall likewise be distributed proportionally among all districts.
3. An allotment of one (1) MT position per subject area for at least 5-7 teachers should be the basis in the secondary level (DECS Order No. 70, s. 1998)
4. If there are not enough qualified teachers in the district to fill the number of MT position allotted to it, the positions may be filled by a qualified teacher from other districts; provided, however, that such teacher shall serve in the district where the MT position have been allotted.
Basic Qualifications for Master Teacher I
1. Permanent teacher (with Teacher Eligibility)
2. Bachelor’s degree for teacher or Bachelor’s degree with 18 professional units in Education, and 18 units for MA in Education or its equivalent
3. At least Very Satisfactory (VS) Performance rating for the last three (3) rating periods.
4. At least three (3) years’ experience as Teacher III.
5. Have at least 25 points in leadership, potential and Accomplishments OR has been demonstration teacher in the District level plus 15 points earned under Leadership, Potential and Accomplishment.
Basic Qualification for Master Teacher II
1. Master Teacher I for at least one (1) year.
2. Bachelor’s Degree for teachers or Bachelor’s degree with 18 professional units in Education; 24 units for Master’s Degree in Education or its equivalent.
3. Very Satisfactory (VS) performance rating as Master Teacher I and/or aggregate VS rating for the last three (3) rating periods.
4. Have at least 30 points in leadership, Potential and Accomplishment OR has been a demonstration teacher in the Division Level plus 20 points earned under leadership, Potential and Accomplishment.
Documents to be submitted by the candidate
1. CSC Form 212 (Revised 2017)
2. Updated Service Record
3. Transcript of Records (TOR)/ Special Order
4. Performance Rating for the last three rating periods
5. Eligibility Rating
6. Copy of latest approved appointment
7. Documents relevant to the position applied for (MEC Order No. 10, s 1979)
8. Copy of school Program indicating the number of teaching load.
9. Omnibus Certification of authenticity and veracity signed by the applicant
Clarification as to Credit points per Criterion
A. LEADERSHIP, POTENTIAL AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
а. Introduced any of the following which has been adopted or used by the school or district – 20 points
1. All claims for criterion “a” shall be supported with proofs/evidences for validation where applicable or to attest to utilization, usefulness or effectiveness.
2. The project proposal shall be supported by evidence of data, data analysis in indicators and the terminal report shall contain statistical results.
3. The project should have been acknowledged/noted/endorsed by the school head/education program Supervisor (specific area) and duly recommended and approved by the Assistant School Division Superintendent and School Division Superintendent respectively.
4. Each claim shall be supported with an approved project proposal and a terminal report after project completion.
5. A certification should be given by the School Head/ PSDS on the project utilization, usefulness or effectiveness and should be corroborated by at least 5 teachers to attest to the veracity of the claim
6. Any one (1) of the following shall be given 20 points. For group claims, the points shall be divided equally among the proponents.
i Curriculum or Instructional Materials
- Instructional Materials content and development and its effect after implementation shall require supporting evidences of data, data analysis and/ or statistical validation.
ii Effective Teaching Technique or Strategies
- This may be a developed intervention program/ technique/ strategies based on a result of a research finding.
iii Simplification of work as in reporting system, records keeping, etc. or procedures in cost reduction.
- This maybe a result of a Continuous Improvement (CI) project, a research findings or an offshoot of results of comparative studies.
iv A worthwhile Income-Generating Project (IGP) for pupils given recognition by higher officials in the division.
- The IGP shall be for the learners
- The IGP shall have been sustained or in existence for at least two (2) consecutive years with a minimum Net Income of P5,000.00
- The terminal report shall include among others how the income was generated, how much was generated, where the income were used.
- Fund-raising activities are not considered as Income-Generating Project.
b. Served as Subject Coordinator or Grade level chairman for at least one (1) year, or as adviser of school publication and not considered part of the regular teaching load ~ 12 points
1. Claims for coordinatorship/chairmanship/advisorship must be supported with documentary evidences such as:
- Official designation signed by the school head with term of reference and annotation or statement that such coordinatorship/chairmanship is outside his/her regular teaching load
- Action Plan and Accomplishment Report duly noted/certified by the School Head corroborated by at least 5 teachers.
2. Subject Coordinatorship/Chairmanship must be at least (1) year while advisorship must be at least two (2) years. Such assignments are not considered as part of teaching load. A copy of the school program shall be submitted as supporting document.
3. For school paper advisers, there should be at least one (1) publication per year printed or mimeographed with the name of the candidate indicated as adviser.
c. Served as Chairman of a Special Committee such as Curriculum Study Committee to prepare Instructional Materials, Committee to prepare School Programs and discharged the work efficiently -12 points
1. Curriculum Study Committee may include work on Intervention or Enhancement Program in the different learning areas, assessment, monitoring and evaluation.
2. Committee to prepare instructional materials may include development of Instructional Materials, Development of assessment tools, questionnaires and test materials and quality assurance of instructional materials.
3. Committee to Prepare School Program may include preparation of school/ grade/ year/ Teacher Program of work schedule; and special educational programs created in support to the different DepEd (CO/RO/DO) program which aim to improve school performance.
4. Supporting documents shall be:
- A designation as chairman of the committee
- A committee Report/Accomplishment Report
- Copy of project/Committee output/ Program
- Certification by the school head and corroboration of at least 5 teachers of the school
d. Initiated or headed an educational research duly approved by educational authorities -12 points
1. Research shall either be action research or applied research
2. Research proposals should have been acknowledged/noted/endorsed by the School Head/School Research Committee (SRC), reviewed by the Schools Division Research Committee (SDRC) and recommended and approved by the Assistant Schools Division Superintendent (ASDS) and Schools Division Superintendent (SDS) respectively.
3. A completed research shall have a terminal write-up duly acknowledged and noted by the SDRC and recommended and approved by the ASDS and SDS respectively.
4. Research topics shall be aligned with research agenda of the CO/RO/SDO, and according to level of governance.
5. Research conducted and submitted to fulfill requirements for masteral and doctoral program are not credited as they have credited for the degree program.
6. Credit of 12 points shall be given for individual research. For group claim, points shall be divided equally among the researchers, except for researches funded under Basic Education Research Fund (BERF) in which case all members will receive 12 points each.
e. Coordinator of community Project on activity or of a program of another agency or coordinator of a rural service improvement activity in a community such as feeding, nutrition, agro-industrial fair, etc. for the least two (2) years -12 points
1. Community Project or Activity may include feeding program in the community health and wellness and nutrition program, agro-industrial fair, ecological/ environmental preservation project, Rural Improvement Project, Community Literacy Program among others.
2. The community project is community-based, not school-based and sponsored by any of the following: LGU or Barangay, RIC, other government agency or a non-government organization.
3. Project lead/project organizer shall be given 12 points; while a member of the project or program as certified shall be given 7 points.
4. Supporting documents shall be as follows:
- A designation as coordinator/project focal person/project proponent/ chairman duly signed by the head/chair/president of the lead agency or sponsor.
- Project proposal/write-up and terminal accomplishment report for the project duly approved by approving authorities, and approved/noted by the ASDS/SDS.
- A certification of commendation/ recognition awarded to the proponent or member for the project may be included.
f. Organized/ managed as in-service activity or other similar activities at least in the school level – 12 points
1. The In-Service activity shall mainly be for the improvement of instructions and/ or professional development of teachers based on development needs.
2. Participants to the INSET are teachers/School Heads/parents/community or a combination of both/each group.
3. Supporting documents shall include:
- Training design duly recommended and approved by the ASDS and SDS respectively.
- Memorandum for the conduct of the INSET
- Certificate of recognition/commendation maybe included
- Certification of conduct of INSET by the School Head corroborated by 5 teachers
- Documents shall clearly show that the claimant is the organizer/initiator and/or program manager of the INSET
g. Credited with Meritorious Achievements -10 points
1. Trainer or coach to contestant who received prizes, commendations or any form of recognition or placed lstZ2nd/3ld etc. in competition
2. Contestant is a bona-fide pupil/student of the school.
3. Contest may be academic, socio-cultural, community activity or athletic competition which is not part of a regular lesson/activity.
4. Claim is supported by certificate of commendation or recognition where name of claimant as coach is explicitly stated.
5. Credit points shall be given for each win in any level but not to exceed 10 points.
6. The point for the highest earned place shall be granted if wins are of the same event/activity.
7. Credit points shall be given as follows:
[table id=10 responsive=scroll /]
8. Coordinator of BSP and GSP activities or Scouts which gained awards will be
given points as follows:
[table id=11 responsive=scroll /]
h. Authorship – 10 points
1. Authorship of a book, workbook, textbook or module shall be considered when copyrighted/with ISBN.
2. Authorship of DepEd developed and produced materials shall be included when supporting documents are provided.
- Memorandum where name of candidate is included
- Final copy of the material as published.
3. Sole-authorship of book, workbook, and textbook in module shall be given 10 points.
4. For co-authorship, points shall be divided equally between or among the authors or writers.
5. Article published shall be granted 1 point per article provided that:
- Article shall be published in a publication/paper/magazine of wide circulation (nationwide or region wide) and educational or technical in nature.
B. DEMONSTRATION TEACHING
1. Claim for demonstration teaching shall be supported with the following:
- Lesson Plan
- Certificate of recognition/commendation as demonstration teacher duly signed by authorities in the district/ division/region/national as the case may be.
- It should be corroborated by 3 to 5 teachers present during the demonstration teaching.
- Observation tool utilized by observer may be added if there is any.
2. Level of demonstration teaching minimally required is:
- District level for MT I
- Division level for MT II