If you’re a Filipino then you probably knew about how big and progressive is China. China is one of the biggest countries on Earth and the most populous country in the world with a population estimated at 1.4 Billion last 2019. It also covers an area of roughly 9.6 million square kilometers. This country is huge and it was also named as the sleeping giant, but today the People’s Republic of China has gained a higher position when it comes to their economic status. It is now one of the richest countries in the world. China is the world’s largest trading power with a total international trade value of US$4.62 Trillion.
In recent years it seems that China is out for total globalization. They have been accepting applicants for English teacher’s positions. In fact, online English teaching has become popular in China. Many Chinese would prefer their child to be educated about the English language.
Requirements for Filipino Citizen to Apply as an English Teacher in China
There is a government to government agreement between China and the Philippines regarding the hiring of Filipino English tutors in China
Refer below for the requirements released by dole.gov.ph signed by Labor Undersecretary Claro A Arellano:
1. “Filipino teachers must be employed in private higher education institutions in the Philippines or those not currently employed in public institutions in the country.
2. In terms of education, an applicant must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from normal universities or in education or English language from Philippine educational institutions accredited by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China.
3. They must also have a valid certificate of registration above intermediate level and a professional license issued by the Philippine Board of Licensure Examination for Professional Teachers (PBLEPT).
4. Aside from these, an applicant should have not been charged or convicted of any crime or administrative offense, is in good health condition, and has no mental problem or pernicious habits such as drug addiction and excessive drinking.
With regard responsibilities, the State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs (SAFEA) of the People’s Republic of China, as the counterpart in the agreement, shall guide local administration of foreigners working in China in the approval, issuance, supervision, and quota usage of the Foreigner Work Permit (FWP) for Filipino teachers of English language.
They shall also provide the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) with the list of duly accredited TEIs and ensure strict implementation of the standard employment contract.
The Philippine Embassy and its Consulates in China shall serve as the contact window to address and resolve all labor-related concerns pertaining to the hiring and deployment of teachers, and those that may arise on site.
The POEA, meanwhile, through its Government and Placement Branch shall provide adequate support in the recruitment, orientation, processing, and documentation of Filipino teachers-applicants.
It shall also undertake the pre-screening of applicants and endorse a shortlist of pre-screened applicants to SAFEA, together with their application papers.
Meanwhile, the number of Filipino teachers of English language to be accepted, as provided for in the guidelines, shall be based on the actual situation of market supply and demand determined annually through negotiation by both governments.”
Based on the article from POEA, all applicants can apply through the placement branches of POEA. This is good so we can avoid scams. There are also accredited agencies by POEA that you can find in https://www.jobstreet.com.ph/ that accepts English teachers applicants for China. For an example of job hiring through the internet, kindly click the on the link: https://poea.jobstreet.com.ph/philippines/china-jobs/
Make sure that your check the agency’s license number on the POEA website for legitimacy.
Sample of the requirements posted by the accredited agencies are as follow:
●Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor’s/College Degree, Education/Teaching/Training or equivalent.
● Can speak good English
● Must have a valid passport
● College Diploma/TOR
● NBI Clearance
You can check out the links provided above for more detailed information regarding the hiring process of POEA. – Karie | Helpline PH